Tuesday 4 October 2011

CD Cover Analysis - Arctic Monkeys


This album cover, named Suck It and See, was released by the Arctic Monkeys. The cover has no image on the front, which is unusual, as most covers have an image of something to attract the eyes of potential consumers. However, this could work well in the fact that every other cover has an image, whereas this doesn't, making it stand out. The layout of the cover is extremely simple, as it only contains two things, the band name and the album name. I think having the album name in the middle of the album cover draws the eye when someone is looking at the front, because it stands out being surrounded by a pale colour and nothing else, leaving nothing else to look at. Also having the band name in the top left hand corner makes sure that some information of the album will be visible when it is placed on shelves in a music store, and not be hidden by other CD's in front of it, as the top third of the album will always be visible. The cover only has two colours to it, cream and black, again, it makes the cover very simple. The two colours contrast well as one is very dark and therefore stands out well on the pale cream background. I like the idea of only using two colours on the cover because it keeps the cover from looking over crowded, which isn't the style that I would want my cover to have. The cover also only uses two fonts, the band's 'logo' being quite chunky and wavy, l compared to the album name which is thin and perfectly aligned and sized. Having two different fonts just stops the cover from being too simple and consequently making it boring, as it creates a bit more interest in the way that everything isn't the same. I do like the use of two fonts on the cover here, but I personally probably wouldn't use two fonts so different if I used an image for the cover, as I think it would look too different and unprofessional.

Overall, I like this album cover and think it's quite different from album covers that are from the pop genre. From this cover I think I will take the idea of only using two contrasting colours throughout as it looks quite dramatic, and would not have a plain background, because I think having the artist on the front appeals to the male/female gaze, and makes target audiences more likely to buy the product.

No comments:

Post a Comment