Friday 11 November 2011

Inside Photographs


The first image I chose for the inside pages was one of a vintage maroon Volkswagen Beetle. I took this photograph at the Stanford Hall annual VW show. I feel this image is closely relevant to the camera I have used as the cover image. Both vintage cameras and VWs are cult cool, meaning they are likely to appeal to an indie audience.


After removing the background making the Beetle the only focus of the image, I altered the colour of the photo with a filter to make it look as though it was taken on a film camera, like my Instamatic. This created a stronger link between the two images. I created this affect on  http://pixlr.com/o-matic/, a webpage based on the Pixlr-o-matic iPhone app.



The next image I chose was one I took last for my AS coursework. This photograph is extremely versatile and I feel works well against the Beetle and within the whole album. Using an image of a girl is a common convention. It also continues will the representation in our video of Oliver being a player.


I cropped the image to the same size I did the Beetle and then applied the same filter to give the retro, film camera appearance. This will mean the inside will match and look symmetrical, creating the most atheistically pleasing layout.


Although I had originally planned to use images of our artist in the inside of my digipak, after conducting research into many of the booklets and inside pages of albums of the same genre I found many don't actually include the artist. My prime example in The Vaccines' debut album What Did You Expect From The Vaccines. The whole booklet features one image per page of completely irrelevant themes and subjects. The symmetrical placement is another feature I admire and have incorporated in my digipak. The colouring of the pictures look as though they have also been taken on a film camera.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment