Thursday 1 December 2011

Sarah's Draft Evaluation Question 2

How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts?
My main product and ancillary texts can not be combined, as they unfortunately share no obvious link. Nether the less I feel that they still work well against each other. The shared simplicity of the three products is their greatest tie. I feel using minimalistic colours and images, helped to reflect the minimal features and slow tempo of our video. 

I had originally planned to use artist photos within the pages of my digipak, which would have made a useful connection as the audience could then recognise the artist. However I was unable to do this at the time of production and instead used object photos. I feel though these perhaps worked better as they allowed me to demonstrate more creative elements and skills in my work. Also these two images provided a shared type of location to my main product, as all three were 'shot' outside in fields.

My two ancillary texts are extremely effective together, as I designed them to be. The choice to put the digipak's front cover image on the advert was right as it provided a clear link between the two ancillaries and it meant if the audience saw the advert they would then recognise the album. I also used Helvetica across both products, another feature that would hopefully be memorable for an audience. Another graphological feature I continually used in both was the colour scheme. The background for the inside pages of my digipak and adverts used the same colour cream. Similarly for the text I carried on using the black on each product.

The Vaccines' first album, 'What Did You Expect From The Vaccines', presented it's products in the same way. The album cover image was the main image on the advert, much like mine, creating a clear link between the product and it's advertisement. Also like my ancillary products the font usage was continuously, creating another recognisable link for the audience.




However the video for their first single, 'Wreckin' Bar (Ra Ra Ra), has no link at all. This extremely fast performance video purely features the band, who are often distorted. The location is almost fun fair like with rows of small incandescent bulbs creating a dark visual, even this is extremely opposite to the digipak photo, which is extremely well lit. Although there are no obvious connections the three products work well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment