Tuesday 6 December 2011

Evaluation Question 3 Draft

What have you learned from your audience feedback?

Pitch Feedback

'We like the factor that the audience are both male and female as we expect that it would be difficult to please both. However we think you should consider making the age range wider. We like the idea of vintage and muted colours.'


'I liked the images, but there wasn't much there to get an idea of what you're trying to do. You said "incredibly indie", but as much as others like to say otherwise that's actually a broad selection of clothes and styles. I think you should probably try and be a bit more accurate with what their style is, but other than that it was okay'


'From all your photos you can tell your style completely and you obviously have a very specific idea about the artist- which is definately going to make things easier in the long run! The muted colours and 'vintage' look fit perfectly with the stereotypically indie ideas and i think the whole thing will fit with the chosen genre seemlessly. thought about widening the age range a bit though? (this is possibly the only slight fault I could find..)'


'I like the layout of your pitch! It's easy to view. All of your ideas fit together really well, and the name of your artist is cool too :)'

From the feedback we received at the beginning of our planning it was apparent that our idea and genre for the music video was well liked, especially the idea of including a vintage aspect to the video either through the artist or the location. Most of the criticism was for our target audience, we were advised to widen the age range as to gain more interest in our video, a factor which we did change.


Music Video Draft

'I think that the quality of the footage is really good, more effective when the background is more blurred, such as the footage around 1:40, which looks really professional, especially with the slight hand held camera. The effects of the colours look really effective, I think you should incorporate more of that so that theres a continuity maybe. I think that constructive criticismwise, you should try and match up the lip syncing a bit tighter, also, the slight jump cuts between similar shots could maybe be more continuous or change the location? I think that the video has a really good raw quality, and after tightening it up abit, would look brill.'


'Firstly, I think that the artost fits the song a lot more when he's just wearing the shirt and tie- The hooide looks a little bit too scruffy! I also like the pink/green effects as it make sit look interesting- however I do agree with maybe changing the artist as Sam just doesn't fit with the genre so much. I like the shots that he walks across without the camera panning too much- ot makes it look very professional, and him looking into the camera quite a lot really works. As long as the editing is maybe a bit more fluent and flowing this is reeeeeeally good!'


'It was nice, but the camerawork was wobbly and there seemed to be too many long shots for the most part - they also seemed too long, and that by trying to make it all a continuous piece of action it makes it seem too... off. All the action taking place in the same place adds to that feel, and with that being the only surreal aspect to the video (besides the colour shifts) it just seems out of place. The colour shifts also don't seem very appropriate. It was nice though, I thought.'

Overall the feedback we received in the comments was really positive, as people liked our idea and the effects we used in the video. The way the artist acts in the video was also praised, although it was suggested that we change the artist which we did. The blurred backgrounds were also thought to look professional as were the shots were the artist walks along without the camera panning a lot, except the footage was wobbly and there was thought to be too many long shots, which we tried to counteract in our final video by using a different tripod and include more close ups. Another piece of advise we received was that our editing needs to be more fluent and tighter, something that was a problem because of the way we filmed our shots, but we managed to avoid repeating this in our final video by filming everything in chronological order.

Digipak Draft

'I like the continuous font used, it's clear and bold. There's a lot of colour used which I like a lot, but as I think of 'Peaceful People' I think of a softer more pastel coloured scheme. I like the landscape type shots used. Is there an image you're using on the disc tray part? Maybe just annotate that if you haven't already. Looks really good! :)' - Liana's draft

'I like the similar images used on the inside of the digipak, it looks neat and obviously symmetrical with a change of detail that would attract attention. The block font looks good, maybe on the very back at the bottom of the track list, have some small print so it looks more 'real'? Just an idea :)' - Sarah's draft

'I think it's alright, wondering why the disk tray is completely empty though, and what the panels next to it actually are is eluding me.' - Sarah's draft

The feedback I (Liana) received for my digipak draft I was really pleased with, as my idea was well received. The font was easy and clear to read and continuous throughout the whole digipak, an aspect that was liked by our target audience. For my colour scheme it was suggested that I use more softer colours to coincide with the idea of peace, so I tried to incorporate this in my magazine advert by using the image of the sun rising. For the disk tray, I decided to use the same image of the sky as I did for my track list, as I thought the continuity of the image would look good.

Sarah:
To begin with the feedback was very positive commending my layout and typography, which was the main focus of my digipak. I liked the suggestion of including small print to create a more genuine look and added this on my final draft. The next comment I received was more negative suggesting that the digipak was extremely unclear. In the final I did take this into consideration and simplified my inside pages, making the content far clearer. 


Final Music Video
Class Feedback
Here are some points that were consistently given to us in our feedback:
  • simple storyline fits the song well
  • the location looks good and works well
  • the artist was a good choice as he compliments the song
  • the visuals (mainly the props) were interesting
  • slightly shaky camera in some places
  • the artist does look awkward in some shots
  • the artists style fits the genre well
  • the ending works well
  • good lip syncing/better lip syncing needed in some parts
  • the shot of the clouds looks good
  • good use of shots/some shots were too long
  • the walking shots work but can be slightly jumpy
Some other feedback we received were: the bus the in background is distracting, the female characters were introduced well and created a narrative, the plot was slightly strange, the lighting was really good for the mood of the song, the pacing never changes to match the song, there is no continuity in the narrative and the static shots shouldn't have been used. Our video was also marked out of ten and our scores were as follows: 2 gave us 8 out of 10, 8 people gave us 7 out of 10, 4 people scored us 6 out of 10 and one person gave us a 5 out of 10.

Peer Feedback


I put our final draft on Tumblr. but received little feedback, mostly likely due to my lack of popularity. My next move was to share the video on Facebook. The two comments it received were quite positive. There were two main concern they flagged up; firstly was the issue with lip-syncing, something that Liana and I also thought was a problem, and secondly they both suggested that Joe looked a bit 'clueless', an obvious visual issue. We now know that for lip syncing the artist must create clearer mouth movements, which will increase the effectiveness and realism of the artist lip syncing.

No comments:

Post a Comment