Wednesday 7 December 2011

Liana's Evaluation Question 2 Draft

How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts?

I think that the combination of both the main product and my ancillary texts is quite effective as I tried to keep a similar theme throughout, making the two link together well. In our music video the location throughout was a field and therefore I took all of my digipak pictures in a field to keep a similar location, I also included images of the sky which was featured in our music video when our artist was lying down and looking upwards. I believe that this would make my ancillary texts and main product work effectively together because the target audience would be able to link the video with the digipak, therefore they would be more likely to recognise either element and the artist who it was for. Although I originally wanted my magazine advert to keep in with the location of a field, I decided against it as I thought it would become too monotonous. Therefore, I kept a similar theme in the fact that I used an image of nature, but one of the sun rising over the sea, to symbolise the beginning of our artists career starting with his first album.

Both the video and ancillary texts are simplistic which meant that the information on my ancillary texts would be easily accessed and for the video the visuals would match the pace of the song. I think that the fact that everything was simplistic may have been a little boring, but it looked effective as everything tied in well with one another and made the combination of the two elements quite unique. I didn't use images of the artist on my ancillary tasks, instead using an image of an extra character from the video, who the artist dances with, for my digipak. In my opinion this worked well with the video, as it made more of a story between the two characters, as that character was singled out from the three extra female characters, giving the impression that she is the more important one. I think that it also makes the digipak a little different, as most digipaks would include an image of the artist somewhere, usually on the front cover, whereas mine doesn't. However, this could be considered as confusing, as the target audience wouldn't realise that it was a product from the artist as there are no visual elements that link the product to him, besides his name.

Overall, I believe that the combination of my ancillary tasks and video worked effectively together as they were all quite striking in the sense that they were so simplistic, as it is not something that would be expected in the music industry. I also think that the effectiveness of the two pieces was emphasised by only having the artist shown in the music video and not on my ancillary tasks because my digipak and magazine advert would create interest in the song for my target audience, but they wouldn't know what the artist looked like and would consequently be interested to find out so they would watch the video.

No comments:

Post a Comment