Friday 9 December 2011

Liana's Evaluation Question 1 Draft

In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

Our music video used the device of instruments, in our case we used a guitar, that coincided with the song played by our artist, a convention which is usually used in music videos of the same genre. It connects the visuals with the audio more and makes the artist seem more talented, as they can also play their own music rather than just singing it. The video also focuses mainly on the artist, with some extra characters included, an aspect which is usually seen in 'indie' music videos, as they are more likely to focus on the performance, such as Mumford & Sons - Little Lion Man.

Our video was mainly an illustration video, as some of our visuals coincided with our song. However, most illustration music video focus on the lyrics throughout the entire song, creating a storyline that links in with the audio, whereas our video only includes some links to the song, meaning it isn't completely a illustration video, as it also includes unrelated visuals.

The style for both our video and my digipak were very similar and kept in with the stereotypical indie look. Although our artist had a slightly more original style than the stereotypical look, as he included some of his own style, such as his skull t-shirt. Sarah wore stereotypical indie clothes which helped to promote the genre of music through my digipak, something which real media products also promote, for example R&B covers usually include some form of black and white effect, as well as the stereotypical R&B style, an element which is linked to the R&B genre.

My digipak could challenge the conventions of a real media product because it does not include any images of our artist, an aspect which is usually used for CD's and digipaks. I did not include any images of the artist as from my feedback and my own opinion, I believe the images of Sarah which I used worked better than lots of images of the artist would have.

Overall, I feel that my media products where quite similar to real media products because they included elements that are included in nearly all indie music videos, such as the artist lip syncing and playing the guitar. I think that my digipak and magazine advert weren't as similar to real media products as I used no photos of our artist, whereas nearly all media products, not just from the indie genre, include some images of wither the artist or the band.

No comments:

Post a Comment